Subject: What IS this thing?!
Location: Catskills, NY
This bizarre looking bug was just outside the door last night. It seemed to be having trouble landing on the siding of the house, but was exceptionally persistant to find purchase on the faux wood. As it came into the light, it struck me just how strange it appeared. As far as I could tell, it had a head and mandables that somewhat resemble a large ant or perhaps even a terminte, though it’s legs had tiny ridges that made them more resemble the legs of a house fly. As the below pictures show, it’s eyes protrude slightly from it’s head, just below a set of large feather-like antenna that I would expect to see on a moth. It’s body was very long like that of a dragonfly, yet at the same time surprisingly plump much like a gypsy moth. Though the piture does not show it, it had a set of four wings, all of them crystal clear, with vainy dark lines through them as would be found on a dragonfly or cicada. I suspect it may be nocturnal, as it was very clumsy la st evening in it’s movements and flight. At some point, it managed to find a way into the house, and went straight for the wooden cabnets before dissipearing into some dark and unknown location. It seems to like wood quite a lot. Early this morning it was found again in the kitchen, virtually unmoving as it perched in the the darkened sink corner behind a mug. However, it seemed fine once released again outside. I’m far from an expert on the matter, and have been searching google off and on for a large portion of the day. I have never in my life seen anything quite like this bug, and I can’t help feeling a certian mixture of confusion and awe as to what it might be. Any help at all in possibly identifying it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help you might provide.
Signature: Simply Baffled

Fishfly

Fishfly

Dear Simply Baffled,
Your Summer Fishfly,
Chauliodes pectinicornis, is in the family Corydalidae along with the considerably larger Dobsonflies.

Location: Catskills, New York

2 Responses to Summer Fishfly

1. No Longer Baffled says:

Thank you so much for your help. For something supposedly so well known, it was next to impossible to find anything that even resembled it online without knowing it’s name. Then again, that could be attribuited to what little time I had to really look into the issue. My home is currently undergoing renevations, so now I just have to hope this little guy came from one of the nearby stream beds, rather then inside one of the walls. I’ll be checking out the new external ‘basement’ later today. As cool as this bug was, I’m really hoping all the recent rains haven’t caused the basement to flood and turn into a potential spawning ground, especially since they seem to know ways to get into the house now…