Subject: What is this?? Green Beetle
Location: Omaha, Nebraska near Missouri River
Howdy there, found this gem at work, it was dead when I found it. It has characteristics of other green beetles, but have not found a match. I live outside of Omaha, Nebraska today’s date is 07/15/14
Signature: Thank you for your time! Joe

Fiery Searcher

Fiery Searcher

Hi Joe,
This is a Caterpillar Hunter known as a Fiery Searcher, and both adults and larvae are important predators that control the numbers of caterpillars.
  We received an account earlier this year of large numbers of Fiery Searchers in Missouri.

Location: Omaha, Nebraska

2 Responses to Fiery Searcher found Dead

1. cora says:

I looked up this beetle because I’ve seen 5 in the last 4 days dead or seemingly dead in my yard. 3 were in the morning near each other. 1 I just saw on my deck but I think it was just upside down and I think flew off while I wasn’t looking. Is there some reason I would find a few dead or looking dead lately?

Without a thorough investigation, we cannot determine why you are finding dead Fiery Searchers. Perhaps they ate poisoned caterpillars, were poisoned on their own, or died of old age.