Subject: WT Spider?
Location: Bronx, NY
Saw this spider in Bronx, NY last June. Beautiful pattern on its back!
Signature: Mark

Jumping Spider

Jumping Spider

Hi Mark,
This gorgeous spider is a Jumping Spider in the family Salticidae, and we are going to attempt to research the species at a later time.  Jumping Spiders are harmless to humans.  They are hunting spiders that do not spin webs to trap prey, preferring to pounce on flies and other prey, often from a great distance.  The large eyes have excellent vision, and the accuracy of their hunting skills are quite wondrous.

Jumping Spider

Jumping Spider

Amazing! Thanks so much!
FYI,  I’ve got a bunch of other insect closeup photos that I’d love to send for ID as I become more interested in the world of insect photography. I know you guys are busy, so I hope you don’t mind. I frequently post these pictures with IDs on a photo enthusiast website, so please know that your help to me is also benefitting other photo enthusiasts in their knowledge of insects.
Thanks again!

We would love additional high quality images, but please submit only one per day.  You can submit images and identification requests by using the Ask What’s That Bug? link on our site.

Update:  December 29, 2018
Thanks to Barbara who identified this Emerald Jumping Spider which is pictured on BugGuide, though not with that common name.  According to the Penn State Entomology Department site:  “Description  Paraphidippus aurantius is quite variable in appearance, owing somewhat to the iridescent scales that appear as different colors depending on the observer’s point of view. Additionally, the color of some of the markings can range from a light golden brown to white.
The female has a band of light-colored scales extending from the eyes around the lateral margins of the cephalothorax and also around the sides of the abdomen. The dorsal surfaces of both the cephalothorax and abdomen are a light reddish-brown with iridescent green scales. The eyes are surrounded by a patch of black scales. The abdomen has four pair of white spots—the third pair elongated laterally—and orange spots midway on the sides of the abdomen. The legs are brown, with the first pair having black bands. Males are much darker, which makes the abdominal spots stand out while the orange spots are harder to see. Females are 8 to 12 millimeters long, while males 7 are 10 millimeters in length.”

Location: Bronx, New York

2 Responses to Emerald Jumping Spider

1. Barbara Thurlow says:

This is another Paraphidippus aurantius (Emerald Jumper.)