Subject: Costa Rica walking stick
Location: Costa Rica
Hello!
Thank you so much for your help with my broad-necked root borer ID request. I have another one for you. I found this insect in Costa Rica 2 years ago on a school trip, it seemed to be some type of walking stick. His colors were amazing! Any idea of what species this is?
Signature: Brittany

Unidentified Walkingstick

Parastatocles Walkingstick

Hi Brittany,
To the best of our knowledge, only male Walkingsticks are capable of flying.  We will try to identify this male Walkingstick tomorrow.  We did locate a matching image on the Costa Rica Bugs and Insect Photos site, but it is not identified.

Update:  July 19, 2014
Thanks to Cesar Crash of the Brazilian site Insetologia, we have this Walkingstick identified as being in the genus
Parastatocles.

Location: Costa Rica

5 Responses to Gorgeous Unidentified Walkingstick from Costa Rica is Parastatocles species

1. the above is just a speculation.
    This is an adult female of Stratocles costaricensis (males are unknown as of yet). ID by Oskar Conle