Subject: What made this?
Location: San Antonio, TX (west side)
Noticed this yesterday while working in the yard. It’s dangling from a live-oak tree. I’ve been here 8 years and never seen one here before, or anywhere else I’ve ever lived. If you’re the size of a bug I think this is a marvel of construction. As far as I can tell those are very neatly cut or chewed twigs. Notice the hanging apparatus, it almost looks like braid, or rope.
It is approx 3″L x 14/16″ at the widest point. I showed it to a friend asking if he knew what it was, and his reply was, “Mini air-beavers?”
What’s your guess?
Signature: Sarah

Bagworm

Bagworm

Dear Sarah,
Though the thought of mini air beavers is tremendously amusing, this is actually the pupa of a Bagworm, a moth in the family Psychidae.  Construction on the bag begins with the young caterpillar and the bag is enlarged as the caterpillar grows.  The Bagworm caterpillar drags around its bag which acts as shelter and camouflage, and eventually the Bagworm caterpillar pupates within the bag after attaching the bag to a brand or fence.  Your Bagworm is in the pupal stage.  When it is mature, a winged male Bagworm moth or a flightless female Bagworm moth will emerge. 

Bagworm

Bagworm

Location: San Antonio, Texas