Subject: 10-Lined Beauty
Location: West Seattle, WA
Hi there,
Last night, the cat brought what I thought was a small mouse into the house. Rushing to the rescue, imagine my surprise that it was instead a very large, very beautiful insect.
I’ve lived in this neighborhood all of my life (nearly 50 years) and never seen anything like it. As I was photographing it, I was touched by how sweet-tempered it seemed. It hissed when I gently assisted it into a rescue jar and didn’t move quickly when released back out into the yard. Even when it hissed, it was cute.
What was I so lucky to have met last night?
Signature: West Seattle Nature Lover

Ten Lined June Beetle

Ten Lined June Beetle

Dear West Seattle Nature Lover,
We would have guessed that based on your subject line, you realized you had an encounter with a Ten Lined June Beetle,
Polyphylla decemlineata.  The hissing is created by a phenomenon known as stridulation, or the rubbing together of body parts, and it can be quite loud.  The Ten Lined June Beetle will stridulate when it is disturbed or handled. Because of your rescue intervention, we are tagging this posting with the Bug Humanitarian Award.

Location: Seattle, Washington