Subject: White Bee with partial black wings?
Location: Central New Mexico, USA
Hi! I’ve been a fan of your site for many years now, so when I found this little cutie I knew just who to ask. I had looked up pictures of white bees but none of them had the partial black wings as this one did. Genetic mutation perhaps? New species? Or just a different bee? He seemed very docile, let me hold the leaf he was on for a good bit, and even let me get up close and personal for the pictures. He left sometime later when I wasn’t paying him any attention. Please, what kind of bee do we have?
Signature: The bee finder

Bee Fly

Bee Fly

Dear bee finder,
You are going to have to change your moniker from “the bee finder” to “the bee fly finder” if you are referring specifically to the individual in the images.  Bee Flies in the family Bombyliidae are very effective mimics of our apian friends, and like bees, Bee Flies are efficient pollinators.  It sure looks like
Hemipenthes celeris, which we located on BugGuide, where it indicates New Mexico as part of the range.  Alas, this pretty creature has no common name other than the nonspecific family name.  That is very patriotic nail polish.  Was is special for Independence Day?

Thank you very much for such a fast response!
It’s no wonder I wasn’t getting anywhere with my searches, I was looking completely in the wrong places. Now I can put my search efforts in the right direction and learn all I can about these pretty little flies. Oh, and thank you! The nail polish was done for the Independence day holiday. 🙂

The post we created right after your posting is another example of patriotic nail polish.  We love posting images of women who are not afraid to handle bugs.

Awesome! 🙂 As long as it’s not a Wasp or a Blisterbug I’m good, haha

Location: New Mexico