Subject: Velvet ant In Central Spain
Location: Ocaña, Toledo
Hi, I found a female velvet ant yesterday just south of Madrid. Later on I saw what looked like a winged male. I am unfamiliar with Mutillidae of Spain and have failed to find any information on the species these may be.
I have sent a photo of each, but the camera I used was somewhat poor. Another photo I found online, that seems to be of an identical animal is here: http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7049/6863722301_1a4c21453a.jpg
I appreciate that it is pretty much impossible to get a definitive species level ID without the actual animal, but any information would be greatly appreciated.
Signature: Bec

Velvet Ant

Velvet Ant

Dear Bec,
Thanks for sending your Velvet Ant image.  We found a very similar looking Velvet Ant on FlickR that is identified as
Sigilla dorsata and then we found an image on Invertebrados Insectarium Virtual to support that identification.  Velvet Ants are flightless female wasps reported to have a very painful sting, and nonstinging male Velvet Ants have wings.  Your winged insect is in the order Hymenoptera, which included Ants, Bees and Wasps, but we cannot confirm that it is a male Velvet Ant.

Unknown Hymenopteran

Unknown Hymenopteran

Location: Ocaña, Toledo, Spain