Subject: Orchid-eating Long-horned Beetle?
Location: Sandy Springs, Georgia, USA
I was startled last week to find a little green guy chomping on my orchid blossoms, and leaving his mess as he went. The orchid had 23 individual blossoms that had been beautiful for more than 10 weeks, then suddenly blossoms started dropping and holes started appearing.
When I found the culprit (and I only found one), I took lots of pictures, and ultimately cut the stem of blossoms and discarded the bug and the blossoms because I have several other orchids in the house.
He/she was pretty and rather sporty bright green body, lovely legs, black and white striped antennae, and a white muzzle with 4 short feelers. Despite the good look I got, I can’t seem to find this guy in any of my books.
Let me know if you want more pictures.
Thanks.
PS Love the website!
Signature: Helen

Bush Katydid Nymph

Bush Katydid Nymph

Hi Helen,
This is an immature Bush Katydid in the genus
Scudderia, and you can compare your individual to this image on BugGuide.  Bush Katydids normally feed on the leaves of plants, but they do not shy away from tender plant blossoms.  

Bush Katydid Nymph

Bush Katydid Nymph

Location: Sandy Springs, Georgia