Subject: Bees in Compost!!
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Hello!!! I’m in Calgary, AB, Canada and have had some bees move into the compost in my backyard. It’s now mid July and I noticed them about a week ago, but I have no idea how long they have been there. I’m honestly curious to learn as much about them as I can. They don’t appear aggressive, and I know bees are on the decline. The compost is a large plastic bin which at this time only has grass clippings in it. They are all old, dead grass clippings from last year so are more straw-like in consistency. It has a lid and is closed and dark.
I apologize that the pic is a bit blurry, please let me know if you need a clearer one (That was terrifying, I stayed pretty far away and used a great deal of zoom lol)
Signature: Thank You So Much! Elena

Bumble Bee

Bumble Bee

Hi Elena,
This is a native Bumble Bee and we have gotten other reports of Bumble Bees nesting in compost piles, birdhouses and other man-made refuges.  Bumble Bees are not aggressive, but they are capable of stinging.  The bees getting all the publicity lately because of Colony Collapse Disorder are domestic Honey Bees.  Honey Bees are domesticated and not native, however, there are wild hives that are formed when new queens create new colonies in chimneys, hollow trees and other protected locations.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! Let the research commense!

Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada