Subject: UFB- unidentified flying bug
Location: South Salem, New York
Hi!
We found strange bugs digging gravelly holes in-between the stone tiles on our porch. We’ve looked it up several times, but we’ve found nothing useful. Does it sting? Can anybody confirm what type of insect this is?
Signature: The Greenbergs

Great Golden Digger Wasp

Great Golden Digger Wasp

Hi Greenbergs,
This is a Great Golden Digger Wasp, a docile, solitary wasp that spends its time visiting flowers for food and females hunt Katydids which they drag back to underground burrows to feed the young.  Only female wasps have stingers, and solitary wasps like the Great Golden Digger Wasp rarely sting humans, though a sting might result through careless handling.  Unlike social wasps like Hornets and Yellowjackets that will sting to protect the nest, the Great Golden Digger Wasp does not sting to protect the nest.  The sting is used to paralyze Katydids so the hatchling wasp larvae will have a source of fresh food.  We hope we have convinced you that the Great Golden Digger Wasps do not present a threat to you, your family or your pets, and that you will allow them to continue to nest on your porch.

Location: South Salem, New York

4 Responses to Great Golden Digger Wasp

1. Dave Schrader says:

I found what appears to be this great golden digger wasp in my garden. The hole is as big around as my little finger the adult about 1 and a half to two inches long. It was very aware of me but left me alone. Does this sound like this insect?

2. Dave Schrader says:

Sorry, the garden site is in Baldwinsville, NY.