Subject: Lycaenidae Butterfly
Location: Grete, Greece
Dear “what’s the bug”
I have been for a long time trying to identify this butterfly. I tend to believe that it is a common blue (Polyommatus icarus) but I am not sure, because the spots are not that clear. Could you please help me identify it? It was photographed in the island of Crete, Greece in 16 March 2013. The habitat was brushwood under heavy grazing pressure.
Thanks a lot in advance
Signature: Thanasis

Blue

Blue

Dear Thanasis,
Blues are a very difficult group for us to identity, but we are posting your images and we will do the research.  Meanwhile, perhaps one of our readers who is more familiar with the Lycaean Blues will write in and assist in the identification.

Grecian Blue

Grecian Blue

Dear Daniel Marlos,
thank you very much for your immediate reply. I’m grateful for your help, and I hope that there will be a solution (it’s been more than a year that a have not succeeded to ID this butterfly.)
Best Regards,
Thanasis

Hi again Thanasis,
Many times we get comments that identify a species from long ago in our archives, and we are no longer able to contact the person who submitted the request, so we would advise you to place a comment on the posting to connect you to people who may write in in the future.

Location: Grete, Greece

5 Responses to Grecian Blue

1. Thanasis says:

I would like to add that the plants that the butterflies were laying on were Phlomis lanata (Woolly Jerusalem Sage). Thanks to anyone who might help!

2. Curious Girl says:

Pretty sure this is a Common Blue male. The markings are lighter than many from other countries but match up and are the same as others posted up as being from Greece. There are butterfly experts on Cyprus (what is there is also often also in Greece) who might be able to confirm it better than I could.

But there is also this resource that happens to have several Common Blues that match the one above in color intensity and markings almost exactly.

https://www.flickr.com/groups/greekbutterflies/

Small butterflies with big personalities. :^)

Thanks Curious Girl,
      We hope Thanasis gets this comment.

• Thanasis says:

Thank you very much Curious Girl and “What’s the Bug” for the help!

It was exaclty this lighter, and in my eyes smaller and paler, markings that confused me. It’s good to know that Common Blue shows this type of variation.