Subject: Tulip Tree Silkmoth
Location: Olney, Maryland, USA
Hello!
We were vacationing in Maryland at the end of May, and this beautiful moth visited us one evening. Using your site I identified him as a Tulip Tree silkmoth, do you concur? Sorry about the grainy quality of the photos, it was dark and he was vibrating his wings while he sat on me.
Thanks for all your hard work and insight, whatsthatbug inspires me daily.
Signature: Emily

Tulip Tree Silkmoth

Tulip Tree Silkmoth

Dear Emily,
We agree that this is either a Tulip Tree Silkmoth, which can be viewed on BugGuide, though we would not rule out another member of the genus 
Callosamia.  Where we disagree with your identification is the sex.  This individual is a female as evidenced by the less feathery antennae.

Thanks for the fast reply, I appreciate you taking the time. Less feathery? Wow, I thought they looked pretty feathery indeed, the male’s antennae must be amazing!
Best,
E

Hi again Emily,
You can compare the difference between the antennae of the male and female of the closely related Promethea Moths in this image.

Location: Olney, Maryland