Subject: What’s this bug?
Location: Garden
Hello, I found this millipede in my yard and I cannot seem to find out what kind if millipede it is. I have all ready tried to find out what type of millipede this is but no website has told me………so I hope you can give my the answer!?
Signature: From lia

Flat-Backed Millipede

Flat-Backed Millipede

Dear lia,
Since the images you attached were pilfered from our website and since there is already a posting with considerable information on this Flat Backed Millipede, we are unclear what additional information you desire.  We do not have the necessary skills to identify the millipede in the image beyond the very broad order Polydesmida, the Flat Backed Millipedes, but another distinct possibility is
Apheloria virginiensis which we found on BugGuide and contains the identical information we have already posted on the submission where you downloaded the image:  “Caution: Many millipedes with bright color patterns secrete a compound containing cyanide. Wash your hands after handling them and do not allow children to pick them up.   ‘Millipedes are entirely non-toxic to humans and can be picked up by hand. Some secretions discolor the skin, but this wears away in a few days without lasting effect. Some large, cylindrical, tropical species squirt their defensive secretions up to a half meter (2-3 feet) and can blind chickens and dogs. Their fluids are painful if they get into the eyes, and persons working with tropical millipedes should be suitably cautious.’ ~Rowland Shelley”