Subject: Ichneumon in Pacific Northwest
Location: Lacey, Washington (Southwestern Washington )
I used whatsthatbug.com to identify some new visitors to my front yard. After finding in your 2008 archives what appears to be the same wasp as I have, I would like to share some photos with you to share if you wish.
Signature: Lisa

Unidentified Ichneumon

Unidentified Ichneumon

Dear Lisa,
Thank you for sending additional images of this still unidentified Ichneumon from the Pacific Northwest.

Unidentified Ichneumon

Unidentified Ichneumon

Unidentified Ichneumon

Unidentified Ichneumon

Location: Lacey, Washington

2 Responses to Unidentified Ichneumon from Pacific Northwest

1. Lindsey Bongiorno says:

I just had two of these some how get up my pajama pants leg. I was picking things up in the backyard here in Mobile, AL prepare if for tomorrow tropical weather when I felt something like a Nurae who is not that great at putting IV’s in, jab into my shin. It hurt badly! I wasn’t sure if maybe it was and enourmas horse fly or fire ant or what! I slapped my shin real good thinking that should get it! Then it jabbed again!! I LITERALLY stripped out of my pajama pants right there in my back yard(the neighbors can easily see over our privacy fence) . I didn’t see anything at first so I began shaking my pants and 2 if these little buggers fell out of my pants. At first I thought it was a spider because all I saw was legs then I notice wings and though, “is that a may fly or a crane fly? Surely neither of those would have bit me.” So I got a little closer, now let me add that in the midst of I taken off my pants I also used my pants to smush the two bugs just hard enough so that I broke their little wings and just light enough so that theur bodies stayed intact enough for me to study them and figure out what had just jabbed my shin! . Where was I, oh yeah, so I got a little closer and notice that the bugs head was seperate from its thorax like a wasp. I came across the giant stump stabbed wasp, and some others but the color scheme of the bug didn’t match. Then I found this site, and this unidentified Ichneumon! This is what I had TWO of up my pants! Exactly like this! Let me just say that I am a chronically ill patient who has endure a LOT OF PAIN, and I considered my pain tolerance to be quite high, but these two little boogies HURT! Does anyone know if I should be concerned about this bite or sting or whatever??

• Kerrie says:

Hi Lindsey – I know exactly what you mean! Did you have any issues after the sting? I got stun in the butt and the red mark and swelling almost covered my entire butt cheek! Days after the redness and swelling is gone but I swear there is a “tickling” feeling – mainly at night in this area. I am hoping it is just the healing . Any knowledge of humans being a host ?