Subject: DRAGON?!
Location: Tennessee USA
Friend of mine, who lives in Tennessee, found this bug at a park. It is the strangest thing we have ever laid eyes on! Looks like a dragon! What’s that bug?
Signature: Melissa Paulk

Spotted Apatelodes

Spotted Apatelodes

Dear Melissa,
Amusingly, when we went to name your image for inclusion in our archives, we realized another Melissa submitted an image of a Spotted Apatelodes earlier this month.  The Spotted Apatelodes is a moth, not a dragon.

Thank you for the information! Also, we did some digging and found that it comes from a “saddleback caterpillar..is that true? If so, that is a very interesting looking caterpillar!

Where did you do your research?  It is not correct.  The caterpillar of the Spotted Apatelodes is yellow and fuzzy with longer black tufts and it can be viewed on BugGuide, and excellent source for information on North American insects.  The Saddleback Caterpillar develops into a very different Saddleback Caterpillar Moth which we just posted for the first time this week.

Location: Tennessee

One Response to Spotted Apatelodes

1. Kevin says:

I currently have eight of these larva visible in one of my maple trees. Very excited to see how they turn out. just now starting cocoon up.