Subject: freaky bug found in northern Georgia
Location: Blue Ridge Mountains, Northern Georgia
I recently took a trip up to the Blue Ridge Mountains in northern Georgia and I came across this thing sitting on my porch during a thunderstorm. I’m not worried about it being dangerous or anything, but I’ve been trying to identify it ever since I saw it, and I can’t find anything on the internet about it, so I’d be very grateful if you could help me out!
Signature: -Alyson

Male Dobsonfly

Male Dobsonfly

Dear Alyson,
We field so many identification requests for Dobsonflies like the one in your image, that we have it in out Top Ten tag along with Wheel Bugs, Toe-Biters, Potato Bugs and Eyed Elaters.
  We chuckled when we saw you named your file “hell bug” and though he looks quite fierce, this male Dobsonfly is perfectly harmless.  The much less impressive looking female Dobsonfly has smaller, but much more practical mandibles, and a bite, though harmless, has been reported to draw blood.

Location: Blue Ridge Mountains, Georgia