Subject: Large African Flying Beetle
Location: Burkina Faso (West Africa)
June 28, 2014 11:38 am
Hey Sir, I am a Marine stationed out here in Africa and saw the weirdest looking beetle outside my house. I have never seen anything like it on discovery channel. The things was huge and aggressive. Not only did it have huge claws to grab stuff with but it fly’s also! It wasn’t even scared of me it actually tried to attack me. I didn’t squish the monster he took off and caught a moth in flight. Hopefully you can help me identify this guy.
Signature: Zachary Staman

Giant Water Bugs

Giant Water Bugs

Hi Zachary,
It is easy to mistake this Giant Water Bug in the family Belostomatidae for a beetle, but closer inspection will reveal that instead of mandibles adapted to chewing like the beetles, the Giant Water Bug has a mouth designed to pierce and suck fluids from its prey, consistent with the mouths of Heteropterans, the True Bugs.  Giant Water Bugs from North America are often called Toe-Biters because unwary waders have frequently received a painful bite if they step on one of these aquatic predators, or otherwise carelessly handle them.  

Location: Burkina Faso, West Africa