Subject: Bugs in Garden
Location: Detroit, Michigan
June 27, 2014 8:10 am
Hello, I am from Detroit, Michigan and there are at least 100 of these bugs in my organic garden of all different sizes. The larger sized bug seems to have more color but move much faster, I have a pretty big yard but they are only in the garden. Just trying to figure out what they are, I looked through the internet but cannot seem to identify them. June 27, 2014.
Signature: Alicia

Probably Soldier Fly

Probably Soldier Fly

Hi Alicia,
Your image lacks the necessary detail to be certain, but this appears to be a Soldier Fly, possibly
Ptecticus trivittatus which is pictured on BugGuide.  According to the Soldier Fly family Stratiomyidae page on BugGuide:  “Larvae in a variety of situations, but mostly associated with decaying plant matter from leaf litter to rotting fruits” which causes us to surmise that they are being attracted to the organic compost in your garden.  They will not harm your produce.

Looks like that is it! Thank you,

Location: Detroit, Michigan

One Response to Soldier Fly we believe

1. Kay says:

Yessss! I just started a compost pile and saw these guys. It only took one search here to find out what they were. Thanks!