Subject: Giant Stag Beetle
Location: Carrboro NC
Hi Bugman, I know this is a male Giant Stag Beetle…I just wanted to share his photo, because I don’t often find them alive, and undamaged. This fellow has been buzzing around my house for a couple of days. I saw him first on my back deck, then again on the kitchen screen the following day. He is very feisty , and rears up whenever I get close to him for his beauty shots.
Signature: Mary S

Giant Stag Beetle

Giant Stag Beetle

Hi Mary,
This Giant Stag Beetle is sure an impressive creature and we are very happy to hear he was feisty.  If this is not your first sighting, you must have a nearby habitat that includes stumps or rotting trees that will support the growth of the grubs.  Pristine yards do not provide the necessary larval food, and as development encroaches upon wooded areas, the available native habitat dwindles, resulting in reduced numbers of many native insects.
  Thank you for supplying our site with your wonderful images.

Giant Stag Beetle

Giant Stag Beetle

We do indeed have the perfect yard for Beetles. We adjoin a nature preserve that is chock full of rotting wood, stumps and snags…which translates to lots of great summer beetles arriving at our doorstep! I enjoy your website very much..nice to see a place where insects are not considered pests.
Thank you for all you do to bring appreciation of the natural world to people who are not professionals in the field.
All the best,
Mary S

Thank you so much for your kind response Mary.  We are happy that our mission to provide educational information about the natural world to a popular culture audience is evident.  For the record, our editorial staff has no formal entomological training and there is probably much misinformation contained in our archives as we are constantly learning more through submissions from our readers.  Though we strive for accuracy, we are only human.

Dear Daniel, I find that you do very careful work, and it is sometimes better than a large number of websites that lack your zeal for the subject. just yesterday, I sent a correction to a Univ of Michigan website ..written by a Phd that talked about the “Elephant Stag Beetle” Elaphus translates to Deer…not elephant…well you guys know that, but there it was on an educational website.I find that you also are open to correction, and interested in getting it right. Your site is also witty, and fun to read. I do wonder how you hold your temper when people write in about some uncommon insect that they crushed because they couldn’t identify it. I get both discouraged and angry when I see that response to our native wildlife. Anyway, you all rock! You make searching the web fun.
Mary

We are positively blushing now Mary.  In our original response, we were going to state that had we not already prepared a posting of Stump Stabbers for the Bug of the Month for July 2014 earlier than usual, we would have strongly considered your submission.  We have featured the Giant Stag Beetle from North Carolina in that capacity in July 2009 as July tends to be the month with the most Stag Beetle sightings.  Since we generally only feature one Bug of the Month per month, and since we uncharacteristically prepared a posting very early, we had no choice but to stick to our original selection.

Location: Carrboro, North Carolina

3 Responses to Giant Stag Beetle

1. D. Rod says:

So I found what looks like a male, he appears to be in great condition, I am so amazed at him, can any one provide any more feedback on what kinds of things to keep in his habitat. Please email me any advice.

2. Mary B. Di Cecco says:

I found a beautiful lady Stag Beetle this morning in our backyard here in south coastal Rhode Island. She was very feisty, too, so I let her win the battle and quietly left the area.