Subject: Bumble on a Prickly Pear Cactus Flower (Little Saint Simons Island, GA)
Location: Little Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Hello Bugman,
I was on my honeymoon at the end of May on Little Saint Simons Island, Georgia. What an amazing place! While bicycling to the beach, I noticed this bumble noshing on the prickly pear cactus flowers. I am thinking that it is a queen bumblebee because of its size? Given the diversity of bee species in the US, I have no idea the exact species of this critter but am hoping that you do! By the way, on our way from Long Island New York (where I live) to Little Saint Simons, we stopped at Chincoteague Island, Virginia. I bought your new book at the National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center. A great read!
Laura
Signature: Laura klahre

Bumble Bee

Bumble Bee

Dear Laura,
According to BugGuide, there are 46 species of Bumble Bees north of Mexico, and we are not certain of the exact identity of your Bumble Bee.  Thanks for letting us know about finding The Curious World of Bugs at the National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center in Virginia.  We are happy you enjoyed it.

Bumble Bee

Bumble Bee