Subject: My 7 year old son is so excited to find out what these are…me, not so much! Lol!
Location: Long Island, New York
Hello Bugman,
While digging in our garden my 7 yr old son yelled out in excitement at these large bugs he found. He was so cute-he thought he found a new species and wanted to send these pics to a science museum! When I told him about your website he was ecstatic.
So-they were found buried in the dirt, found today June 24 on Long Island New York, they are about 2-3 inches??
Thank you!!!!!!
Signature: Curious nature buff’s mon

Cicada Nymph

Cicada Nymph

Dear Curious nature buff’s mom,
We hope you are a mom and not a mon.  This is a Cicada Nymph, but sadly, we don’t have the necessary entomological skills to identify it to the species level.  Cicadas are winged insects that are often mistaken for large flies, but they are most familiar to the average person because of the loud sounds they produce, often from the tops of trees during the summer months.  We cannot say for certain if this is the nymph of an Annual Cicada like a Dog Day Harvestfly, or if it is the nymph of a Periodical Cicada or Seventeen Year Locust.  Cicada Nymphs remain underground feeding from the roots of plants for several years, and in the case of the Periodical Cicadas, the nymphs are underground for seventeen years with the adults emerging, often in great numbers.  North America has 17 viable, identified broods of Periodical Cicadas and you can find additional information on the Magicicada website.  According to the map on the Magicicada site, New York is in the range of three of the broods, with Brood VII next expected in 2018, Brood X next expected in 2021 and Brood XIV next expected in 2025.  Alas, we don’t have much advice for keeping this Cicada Nymph alive now that it has been dug up and separated from its food source.  Cicadas have mouths designed to pierce so they can suck nourishment from the roots as opposed to chewing them.  They must feed from living plants.

Cicada Nymph

Cicada Nymph

Thank You! I can’t wait for my son to get home from school he’ll be so excited to have received this response! You’re awesome!
And yes-I’m a severely sleep deprived MOM of 3 not a mon-lol!
Thanks again for your time it is much appreciated

Location: Long Island, New York