Subject: New Jersey Fly, help with ID request
Location: North Eastern New Jersey
Hello again, was wondering if when you have time, you could help me ID a fly from New Jersey. I was breaking out my macro lens to try and get some shots today. Came across this fly that I can not identify. My thoughts are either the picture wing family or the fruit fly family. (could be light years off). What was puzzling me was the way she was sticking her ovipositor into the tree bark, her almost wasp or bee like colors and the patterns on her wings. Definitely a fly, could see the halteres, mouth parts and antenna quite clearly. Medium size. Sorry I only have close ups of her face and some blurry shots of her digging into the tree bark. (Macro stinks on moving targets.)
Would love to hear your answer but understand you are VERY busy. So if you get to them great, if not you still have my thanks for the wonderful site.
Signature: Frank from NJ

Picture Winged Fly: Idana marginata

Picture Winged Fly: Idana marginata

Dear Frank from NJ,
We have been away from the office since June 13, and we are just catching up on old requests, by attempting to post a single request from each day we have been away.  Your request is our final obligation for today, but we may continue later.  We have identified your Picture Winged Fly as
Idana marginata thanks to images posted to BugGuide.

Picture Winged Fly

Picture Winged Fly

Once again you have my thanks. I hope you are enjoying your down time! This one was driving me crazy.

You did narrow down the family nicely.

Picture Winged Fly

Picture Winged Fly

Location: New Jersey