Subject: Glen Burnie
Location: Northern Virginia
We saw this on our garage. We’ve never seen anything like it before
Signature: Bensons

Luna Moth

Luna Moth

Dear Bensons,
This male Luna Moth is arguably the most beautiful North American moth.  It is definitely the most unique North American Moth.  The feathery antennae indicate that this is a male Luna Moth.

Luna Moth

Luna Moth

Location: Virginia

2 Responses to Luna Moth

1. George Kohl says:

A beautiful Luna Moth flew into our kitchen about a week ago. It was fine for a few days. Then it flew out again and was lost and gone. (We live have a “Cabin Home” here in the Allegany Forrest in Port Allegany, PA) We are about 15 miles south of the NY line. The trees are 150′ high and I can reach out any window a touch a tree.. Our Luna flew out again in a couple of days and I thought it was gone, but it came back and found a spot with the plants on the porch. When it came back it had lost a wing and another was broken. I made a bed for it where It stayed until it died today. I tried to keep some water in the plate and some natural leaves. Could I have done more for it? What food do they eat? I held it for hours while out on the porch. Even lame in death I cant part with it. What more should I have done.? It was so beautiful. Also we have a lot of Monarch Butterflies this year. The have been doing their pollination. .Only God could create even insects of such beauty. Please give me some help in fostering and helping these little ones here in the forest. I hope someone will reply and help me help these wonderful gifts from God.