Subject: Glowing Insect
Location: Vietnam
June 24, 2014 11:15 am
A friend of mine in Vietnam posted a video today. It contains a clip of an weird bug with a glowing bum. The video was taken at Cát Tiên national park (in Vietnam). He and I have both tried researching it with no success. It seems to have beetle like legs up front, but tiny catterpillar like legs on it’s rear end. The video is more helpful than the picture I provided. Could you help us out by identifying this weird insect? Here is a link to the video:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10152232679183723&set=vb.737983722&type=2&theater&notif_t=comment_mention
Signature: ~Meagan Preston

Firefly

Firefly

Hi Meagan,
This is a Firefly in the family Lampyridae, and we believe it is either a larva or a larviform female.  See this image on BugGuide that shows a similar insect from Texas.

My friend says that looks right except the insect in question was bigger than his thumb. Do they get that big?

We are not certain how large Fireflies grow in tropical countries.  Alas, there is not a good comprehensive identification source for Vietnamese insect identifications that we are aware of that is in English.

He sent me a photograph.

Firefly Larva or Larviform Female Firefly

Thanks Meagan,
The new image has much more detail.  We stick to our guns on this being a Firefly Larva or adult Larviform (usually female) Firefly.  Again, we are not familar with species from Vietnam, but when time permits, we will attempt to provide you with some additional information.

Location: Vietnam