Subject: What is this
Location: Atlanta, GA
This was on my bed the other night. Can you tell me what it is? Is it posoinous?
Signature: Phil

Centipede

Centipede

Hi PHil,
This is a Centipede in the order  Scolopendromorpha and though it is not deadly, it is venomous and it should be handled with caution as it may produce a painful bite.

Location: Atlanta, Georgia

4 Responses to Centipede

1. Joshua says:

Might want to be careful the next time you go to bed!!!!
    If you find one again kill it, they can kill a full grown dog or small child.

Please provide us with links to the information you have provided. Our readers are often alarmed at creatures they find. If dogs and children are in mortal danger from a Centipede bite, there must be some reputable information online, and we cannot locate a reputable source. Detailed information on MedLine Plus incudes: “Symptoms usually last fewer than 48 hours. Severe allergic reactions or contact with exotic types of centipedes may require more treatment, including hospitalization.” According to Desert USA: “Centipedes of the United States, especially the larger ones such as the giant desert centipede (Scolopendra heros) and the banded desert centipede (Scolopendra polymorpha), can inflict an intensely painful, though rarely (if ever) fatal, bite, or more accurately, a pinch.” According to the Top 10 Deadliest Bugs: “While centipedes aren’t insects that are responsible for tons and tons of deaths, you’d be surprised to find out that every two years one person does die due to a centipede bite. This is usually due to an allergic reaction to the venom that the bug can inject into your body when it bites you. However, it’s rare that one is so allergic to this venom that it kills them.”

2. Dane says:

I have a pet toad and I found what looks like a scolopendromorpha centipede. I tried feeding it to the toad and it had an extremely difficult time with it as it looked like a grappling match. Lol. The toad could not swallow it no matter how many times that it tried. Iowa’s wondering if the centipede is any threat to do harm to the toad either when it attempts to eat it or if it actually managed to swallow it? I read online that centipedes are on a toad’s menu of bugs it eats. Thanks