Subject: Identify this moth please
Location: Barrie, Ontario
This moth flew into my garage today. I live in Barrie, Ontario. It’s body is about an inch long and it is about 2″ wide. What is it?
Signature: Thanks, Aerin

Abbott's Sphinx

Abbott’s Sphinx

Dear Aerin,
We believe your Sphinx Moth is an Abbott’s Sphinx,
Sphecodina abbottii, and you may compare your individual to the images on the Sphingidae of the Americas website.  Though we have no shortage of images of the caterpillars of the Abbott’s Sphinx on our site, the only other image of the moth dates to 2006.

Thank you for identifying my bug! This is another picture I was able to get before I safely moved it outside. It did very much mimic a bee when it was buzzing around the window trying to get out. I am glad to know it isn’t an enemy of my vegetable garden! And very interesting that you haven’t had a picture of this moth since 2006!
Thanks again!
Aerin

Abbott's Sphinx

Abbott’s Sphinx

Hi again Aerin,
Thanks for sending another image.  Just so you know, we are postdating your submission to go live during our absence from the office next week as our regular readers have come to expect daily updates from us.

Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada