Subject: Butterfly
Location: Yunguilla Valley, Ecuador
June 9, 2014, I photographed this small blue butterfly near our house in the Yunguilla Valley, Azuay Province, Ecuador, 53 km southwest of Cuenca, EC. It’s wingspan is probably less than 3 cm. We are in the mountains of the Yunguilla Valley at an elevation of about 1900 meters. I haven’t seen this particular butterfly before and have only seen this one.
Signature: Kathie Sedwick

Possibly Brush Footed Butterfly

Brush Footed Butterfly is Dynamine sara

Hi Kathie,
This is a lovely butterfly, and we believe it might be a Brushfooted Butterfly in the family Nymphalidae.  For some reason, we are having internet problems this morning which is slowing down our research.  To further complicate things, we are about to leave town for a spell, and we want to get this posted, however, identification may take some time.

Thank you for your fast response.  That could narrow it down some for me.  Have a good trip!

Update:  Dynamine sara
Thanks to a comment from Cesar Crash of Insetologia, the Brazilian equivalent of What’s That Bug?, we have verified that this is
Dynamine sara thanks to Pinterest and Butterflies of America.

Location: Yunguilla Valley, Ecuador

One Response to Brushfooted Butterfly from Ecuador is Dynamine sara

1. Looks like Dynamine sara.