Subject: Is this beauty hawk moth and why do they shake their wings?
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
June 11, 2014 9:16 am
Hi guys. I’ve previously found a blinded sphinx hawk moth in the same area where just today I saw this unassuming beauty. It was sleeping? When I brushed up against it by accident with my lens, it fell into my hands, started walking on my arm,and then it’s wings shook like it was trying to fly, but couldn’t. Was it cold, and needing to warm up to flee the scene – or was it a warning? It looked in perfect health. I put it gently back on the wall, and it continued its wing shaking. Thank you kindly in advance.
Signature: Maggie M.

Waved Sphinx

Waved Sphinx

Dear Maggie,
We believe we have correctly identified your Hawkmoth as a Waved Sphinx,
Ceratomia undulosa, thanks to images posted to the Sphingidae of the Americas website.  We have observed the behavior you describe, though we cannot provide a definitive answer regarding why moths flutter. 

Thank you so much for the quick reply.  You guys rock. 🙂
Maggie

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

3 Responses to Waved Sphinx from Canada

1. Ariella says:

Hiya

Moths vibrate their wings to warm up their muscles to the temperature at which they can begin to fly, so you’ll see them doing this when it’s a cold day or they’ve been inactive for a while.