Subject:  comment to Tulip Tree Silk Moth
Location:  Charlotte County, Virginia
June 11, 2014 10:18 AM
Thanks; I’m still confused, though; the two species look very much alike. I’ve been an amateur lepidopterist since I was a kid back in the 1950s and hadn’t heard of a Tulip tree silk moth till recently.  I’ve attached two pictures taken on my front porch, 3 years apart almost to the day.  I know they are females, even though they are rather dark.  I’ve seen the males here too.  I hope you can tell me which species we have.  I’m guessing Angulifera, based on the forewing eyespots.  We have most of the Promethea’s food sources on our property, so they could be either.  I live in Charlotte County Virginia, south of Appomattox.

Female Promethea or Tulip Tree Silkmoth???

Since your questions began as comments to a Tulip Tree Silkmoth posting, we are linking back to that.  Wow, this is a tough one, and since you live in an area where the ranges of the two species overlap, we could go either way.  We are guessing that they are most likely the same species, and we are also guessing that since they look yellowish, that they are most likely the Tulip Tree Silkmoth, which is described on BugGuide.  We are going to send your images to Bill Oehlke to try to get his opinion.

Bill Oehlke Confirms
By location, both should be angulifera.
By appearance the one with #2 in its name looks most like angulifera; the
other one with more yellowish scaling in the pm area looks more like
securifera, but it could also be angulifera.
If I could only make one guess, my guess would be they are both angulifera.
Bill

Location: Charlotte County, Virginia