Subject: Giant Flying Whatsahoosit!
Location: Atenas, Costa Rica
June 11, 2014 7:48 am
Hey There!
I am in Costa Rica and when looking out the window one evening I discovered a very winged flying insect. It looks kind of like an ant or termite but doesn’t seem to have that type of mandible. It was roughly 3.5 inches long and just sat on the window screen next to an outdoor light all night.
This is the rainy season and I am in Atenas, Costa Rica.
I named it Steve and am sorry to say it has not returned on subsequent evenings. I mourn the loss of the bond we shared! ::sniff::
Let me know if you have any thoughts!
Signature: -Jason

Male Dobsonfly

Male Dobsonfly

Dear Jason,
We imagine this male Dobsonfly gave you quite a start when you first saw it from the other side of the screen.  While North American Dobsonflies are very impressive, the individuals from Costa Rica are even more impressive.  Male Dobsonflies are perfectly harmless, however, female Dobsonflies with their smaller and more practical mandibles, have been known to draw blood after biting.  Since Dobsonflies do not have venom, the females are also harmless, though a bite would cause some discomfort.

Male Dobsonfly

Male Dobsonfly

Thanks very much Daniel!  I see you have quite a bit of material on these creatures on your site. Fun reading!
-Jason

Location: Atenas, Costa Rica