Subject: Interesting Green bug
Location: Central Arkansas
Hello, this bug was on my car this weekend and I’ve never seen one like him. It was a hot day and I was parked at a soccer field next to a wooded area. Can you please help to identify him, more for my curiosity than anything.
Signature: Tammy

Female Conehead Katydid

Female Conehead Katydid

Dear Tammy,
This is a Katydid, and she is a female based on her ovipositor, but we are having some difficulty narrowing to a genus and species.  The closest match we can find is a Conehead Katydid in the genus
Belocephalus, however, BugGuide only lists sightings from Florida.  In the past, Piotr Naskrecki has indicated there are thirteen species, but we don’t know if they range as far west as Arkansas, so we have contacted him for his input.

Conehead Katydid

Conehead Katydid

Location: Arkansas

3 Responses to Female Conehead Katydid, we believe

1. Brenn says:

I have spotted 2 of these in the last 2 days.I live in southeast NC

2. Mike says:

Hi I live in Waltham,Ma.I found one of these on the back stairs in August.i’ll send pictures .iv never seen one before in 57 years

3. Lindsey says:

I just found one of these in southwest Michigan! Glad to have found this posting. Nothing else in my research looked quite like what I’d found.