Subject: Some sort of wasp?
Location: Unionville, IN
My kids and I found this bug by our creek. We live at the base of a wooded ridge in a rural area. We are surrounded by both farms and forests in South Central Indiana. Got a clue?
Signature: Heather D

Crane Fly

Crane Fly

Hi Heather,
While it does look quite wasp-like, this is actually a harmless Crane Fly.  We just posted a similar looking Crane Fly from the UK, but North America has its own distinct species.  Your Crane Fly is
Ctenophora dorsalisAccording to BugGuide:  “larvae develop in soft dead wood” and we believe the female uses her ovipositor to deposit her eggs in rotting wood.

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.  I did see the picture of the Crane Fly on your site after I posted my question, but I am yet to find a picture in any of the American sites.  All the Crane Flies I see here are the typical “Mosquito Hawk”.  Now that you have given me the species name, I’ll look again.  Where are you in the UK?  I studied at the University of Kent for a year in college.  …  Thank you so much for your help!
Best
… Heather

Hi again Heather,
The offices of What’s That Bug? are located in beautiful Mount Washington, Los Angeles, California, but we field identification requests from all over the world.

Location: Unionville, Indiana