Subject: Yellow beetle
Location: Taitung, Taiwan
My dad found an interesting beetle and I was wondering what type it is exactly. So far I’ve figured out it’s a longhorn beetle, but not much else. I’ve found many similar looking beetles, but not with the exact coloring. Most I’ve found are black with yellow markings, but this one is reversed. Do these types of beetles damage trees? We like beneficial insects, but our trees and plants are struggling and we don’t want to keep harmful insects around.
Signature: Rebecca

Longicorn

Longicorn

Dear Rebecca,
You are correct that this is a Longhorned Borer Beetle in the family Cerambycidae.  We will attempt to identify the species for you.  Though the larvae of Longicorns bore into wood, very few are actually problematic.  Most Longicorns are very host specific.

Location: Taitung, Taiwan

2 Responses to Unknown Longicorn from Taiwan

1. Rebecca says:

Thank you for such a quick reply! Is ‘Longicorn’ and ‘Longhorn’ the same thing/interchangeable? If you can identify the species, that would be amazing, although now that I know the general name and family name, I could probably do so myself if I can find a decent bug book. In googling the information you provided, I was able to find more beetles similar to mine, although none looked exactly the same or had species identified. My dad said he would just go ahead and release it back where he found it.

We like your dad’s way of thinking. Longicorn, Capricorn Beetle and Longhorn are all interchangeable common names for members of the family Cerambycidae.