Subject: White winged with pincers in CR
Location: Costa Rica
Found this guy in the Arenal rainforest area of Costa Rica on the side of a stucco building at about 8 am. It was approximately 3 inches total length. It would not move, even when I blew on it.
Signature: Vmead

Dobsonfly:  Chloronia species

Dobsonfly: Chloronia species

Dear Vmead,
We believe we have identified your Dobsonfly as a
Chloronia species thanks to an image on The Smaller Majority by Piotr Naskrecki.  You may also see a member of the genus on PBase, though both of the images we are linking to are considerably more yellow than your individual.

Location: Costa Rica

7 Responses to Dobsonfly from Costa Rica

1. Curious Girl says:

Is it a “guy”? I thought the boys had long jaws…

Thanks for bringing that to our attention Curious Girl. We generally correct inaccuracies in content in an inquiry. We are not able to locate any images of Dobsonflies in the genus Chloronia with scimitar-like mandibles online, so, there are either no images of males online, or in this genus, there is not as much sexual dimorphism.

2. Greg says:

I like your site, and this entry is in my backyard. We have been in CR for a year now and everyday brings a bug or animal we haven’t seen.