Subject: leaf cutter bee preservation
Using your wonderful site, I believe I have identified a leaf cutter bee making its nest in a drainage hole  of one of my plants. I noticed her several days ago frequently visiting the hole. Now, she is diligently bringing leaves into the hole presumably to line its burrows for egg laying.
My concern is watering the plant-I’m afraid I will “drown” the offspring/eggs. Should I seal the hole when I know the bee is gone to encourage it to go elsewhere or will the eggs survive waterings?
She is proividing me with hours of entertainment but I don’t want to destroy her eggs.
Signature: Maary Beth

Leaf Cutter Bee (image from our archives)

Dear Maary Beth,
We believe the Leaf Cutter Bee in question scouted for the perfect location for her nest, and your potted plant is ideal because of the moisture level.  As you can see from this image from our archives, Leaf Cutter Bees occasionally build nests in potted plants.

Thank you for your response. I am relieved to know we can happily cohabitate. That little creature is amazing. I hope to greet her offspring when they emerge. Mary Beth

One Response to Leaf Cutter Bee nests in flower pot

1. barbara says:

I get a lot of pleasure watching i will not destroy what that bee is doing would like to help them if i can