Subject: Two different bugs
Location: Upstate SC
We went on a little hike in a nearby wetlands area and along our way we found two interesting bugs. One of them looks like a kind of wasp to me, the other one is completely new to me! I’m curious what they are, especially the one with the long stinger for a nose? Thanks for helping out!
Signature: Joyce H.

Paper Wasp

Paper Wasp

Dear Joyce,
We have already written back that you submitted images of a Bee Fly and a Paper Wasp.  We are posting your image of the Paper Wasp in the genus
Polistes.  It appears it might be chewing on that weathered wood to make paper pulp for the construction of its nest.  Paper Wasps make nests of chewed wood pulp, creating chambers for raising young.  The nest has a queen and the colony survives for a single season.  Based on its coloring and markings and its resemblance to this image on BugGuide, this might be a Northern Paper Waps, Polistes fuscatus, which despite its common name, ranges as far south as Florida.

Location: South Carolina