Subject: what is this?
Location: assonet, ma
Found this bug on my deck and I was hoping to get info on it. Is it harmful is the main ?
Signature: idk

White Spotted Sawyer

Whitespotted Sawyer

Dear idk,
This is a Whitespotted Sawyer,
Monochamus scutellatus, one of the Longhorned Borer Beetles in the family Cerambycidae.  The white spot refers to the scuttelum, the triangular shaped area where the wings attach to the body.  According to BugGuide:  “Larvae excavates galleries in coniferous trees, often after they are damaged by a fire, storm, etc.”  That indicates they are not a threat to healthy trees nor to milled lumber.  We don’t understand what you mean by:  “Is it harmful is the main ?”

Im sorry it was a typo. What I was trying to ask, is it harmful to humans?

The mandibles are quite strong, and they might provide a painful nip and possibly even draw blood if the Whitespotted Sawyer is carelessly handled, but they do not provide a threat to humans.

Location: Assonet, Massachusetts

One Response to Whitespotted Sawyer

1. Therese says:

How do you not attract them? are they attracted to cigarette smoke and urine smells?