Subject: Alien bug
Location: Rural Tennessee.
Last night I went outside and this thing was flapping around about 10 feet in the air for a few minutes then it fell to the ground, I thought it was a bat at first. As I moved closer towards it it started flying towards me and I ran away.. And watched it from afar. It seemed like it had never flown before or had a hard time flying because the top wings flapped at a different time then the bottom ones. As you can imagine it would fly then fall, then fly and fall all over again. It was the size of my hand or bigger. Underneath the wings was a huge white bug with glowing eyes. I live on 10 acres of farmland so I tend a lot of strange bugs in outside but this by far is the strangest. Hopefully you can zoom in. I tried to pick the best ones to send. Thank you for your time.
Signature: Sincerely, Krista charnock

Luna Moth

Luna Moth

Dear Krista,
This is a male Luna Moth, one of the most spectacular and unforgettable North American moths.  Adults only live a few days, and they do not eat as adults, surviving on stored fat that accumulated as a caterpillar.  Since Luna Moths only live a few days, your observation that it just learned to fly is accurate.  Reports of sightings of Luna Moths to our site are down this year, so we are very happy to be able to post your image.

Location: Tennessee

2 Responses to Luna Moth

1. hana says:

May 29th, 2014
    Bakersville,NC
    I spotted a male Luna Moth this morning close to our porch light.

2. Whitney says:

Spotted a male luna moth in Dunchurch, Ontario Canada this weekend. It was my first time ever seeing a luna moth so it was very neat. It was on our front door most of the day with it’s wings spread. It was about 8cm wide.