Subject: Black Purse Web Spider (Sphodros niger ?)
Location: Cherokee CO, NC
I suppose that it’s the breeding season for these little spiders.; I managed to find a few scurrying through the woods about the same time last year, but didn’t have a camera on hand to photograph them. Speaking of photos, I’m afraid that my camera was inadequate. The spider was constantly on the move. About every 15 seconds it would pause for a brief moment before continuing on; my camera’s autofocus wasn’t fast enough, and the pictures were taken only milliseconds after the spider began moving again.
Signature: Jacob H.

Black Purseweb Spider

Black Purseweb Spider

Dear Jacob,
Please do not make any excuses for your images, which we think are wonderful.  Though we have images on our site of the Red Legged Purseweb Spider, your images are the first we have received from the related Black Purseweb Spider.  This individual is a male, and you have most likely documented his search for a mate.  Purseweb Spiders are fascinating creatures, and more images of the Black Purseweb Spider can be found on BugGuide.

Black Purseweb Spider

Black Purseweb Spider

Black Purseweb Spider

Black Purseweb Spider

Location: Cherokee County, North Carolina

One Response to Black Purseweb Spider: Male searching for a Mate

1. Jacob G says:

I recently found on in my hometown in Va