Subject: Mystery Moth
Location: Delta, Utah
We saw a rather striking moth (by its antennae) in Delta, Utah (around 19 August) during daylight on the stucco wall outside our motel room. The moth was then blown off the wall by wind and fluttered to a nearby shrub, where I captured it and took the attached photo. I released the moth in a sheltered place (inside the foliage of another shrub) out of the high wind and where birds would not see it. The moth had geometric black triangles on white wings… it almost looked like an African batik fabric pattern. I haven’t seen another moth like it during our travels since then. When I rediscovered a photo, I thought I’d ask if you have any idea what it is? Thanks! Buggy Best Wishes,
Lori in Altadena, CA
Signature: Lori in Altadena, CA

Tiger Moth

Tiger Moth

Hi Lori,
While we cannot provide an exact species name, we are relatively certain that your Tiger Moth is in the genus
GrammiaThere are numerous species that have similar wing patterns and they can be viewed on BugGuide.

Location: Delta, Utah