Subject: Ichneumon Carnage
Location: Centrsl Illinois
Dear Bugman (bugpeople???)
An insect-loving biologist friend helped me identify this wasp last year, but I just now found the carnage section of your site and figured I would share the love (and maybe help add more imagery of North American Ichneumons?) This deceased little lady wandered into the garage after dark and stuck herself to a halogen worklight after scaring the bajeezus out of my friends. Nothing funnier than grown men covered in grease, rebuilding engines and drinking beers suddenly turning into screaming sissies when something gives em a good buzz. 🙂 I peeled her off the light but it was too late, she was fried. My friend pointed me to Ichneumon and using your site and some google imagery I think I have pegged it to Megarhyssa Atrata; though of course I defer to you. It was a very warm August night and we had the bay door of the garage open, halogens blaring. I understand these Ichneumon critters are light attracted? Anyway thank you for everything you do to help educate the masses and f or giving me a bit of absolution with my friends that crawly and creepy don’t necessarily mean expendable.
Signature: Bug-lovin-wrench-monkey

Stump Stabber

Stump Stabber

Dear Bug-lovin-wrench-monkey,
While we are terribly amused by your story of Mechanics terrorized by a harmless Stump Stabber, a fun common name for
Megarhyssa atrata as well as other Giant Ichneumons in the genus, we cannot tag your submission as Unnecessary Carnage which we reserve for postings that have creatures deliberately killed by humans.  This accidental death, while tragic, does not meet the qualifications for Unnecessary Carnage.

Location: Illinois