Subject: Is this a click beetle?
Location: United Kingdom
Hello, here’s my picture of a beetle that I would like help identifying. I think it is a click beetle of some sort – and as you can see it has nice pectinate antennae.
It was about 300 m above sea level, in the highlands of Scotland. The ground is rough grass mixed with heather and other plants that like wet conditions. The picture was taken last week (15 May). The body is about 15 mm long.
Thanks for any help you can give.
Kind regards.
Signature: Iain Stirling

Click Beetle

Click Beetle

Dear Iain,
This certainly is a Click Beetle in the family Elateridae, and it is a gorgeous specimen.  Often with insects, the sex with the more highly developed pheromone sensors AKA antennae are the males.  We are posting your identification request before we attempt to identify your Elaterid to the species level.

Vocabulary Word Interdigitation:  The interconnectivity of species in an ecosystem including predators and prey, grazers and vegetation, symbiotic relationships, parasitic relationships and shared needs.  We would love to know the plant host for this spectacular Click Beetle.

Update:  We slept on it and then did the research and we quickly found Ctenicera pectinicornis pictured on the Elateridae of the British Isles along with the information:  “Male imagos emerge before females in May and can be found resting on the stems of various grass species and on the flowers of Umbellifers. Both sexes can also be found on the ground, resting under stones.”  There is also a note:  “Very scattered records in Scotland.”  There are also some beautiful images of a male Ctenicera pectinicornis preparing to take flight on the Bobuv fotoblog site, but we need to determine the language of the blog before we can attempt a translation.

Comment:  May 20, 2014 3:38 pm
Hi, I just want to answer your question: the language of the Bobuv fotobloc site is Czech.
Kind regards, Erwin
Signature: Erwin Beyer

Location: Scotland