Subject: What is this beautiful creature?
Location: Long Beach, CA
Hi Dan!
I found this little guy in my tire when I went to go move my car. I thought it was dead and brought it inside, but it’s alive! It looks like an owl, it’s so pretty but I don’t know what it is.
Thanks a bunch!
-Bettina 🙂
Signature: Beautifully Befuddled by This Bug

Tiger Moth

Salt Marsh Moth

Dear Beautifully Befuddled Bettina,
This little bit of loveliness is a Tiger Moth commonly called the Virginian Tiger Moth
, Spilosoma virginica.  Though the yellow abdomen is quite distinctive on this dazzlingly white moth, very few of the images on BugGuide showcase that feature, except this image on BugGuide with the wing being held by fingers.  In that sense, your image displaying the abdomen is an internet rarity.  Despite the misleading name, the Virginian Tiger Moth is found across the country from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean.  I hope you are well Bettina.  

Tiger Moth

Salt Marsh Moth

Correction:  Salt Marsh Moth, Estigmene acrea
Thanks to a comment from Nick, we realized we had misidentified this Salt Marsh Moth, Estigmene acrea.  More information on the Salt Marsh Moth is available on BugGuide.

Tiger Moth

Salt Marsh Moth

Location: Long Beach, California

2 Responses to Salt Marsh Moth

1. Nick Dowdy says:

I’d be more inclined to ID this as Estigmene acrea, based on looks and collection data on Bugguide.net for the time and location provided.