Subject: What is this?
Location: San Diego
Dear BugMan,
What is this bug? He was FAST! Found him in an upstairs spare room. It’s been HOT here lately, 100+, not sure if that helps any.
Signature: Julie

Solifugid Carnage

Solifugid Carnage

Dear Julie,
Though it is an Arachnid, the class of creatures that includes venomous spiders and scorpions, this Solifugid is harmless as it does not have any venom.  That does not in any way inhibit the ability of a Solifugid to hunt prey, and they can help rid the home and yard of other undesirable creatures, including cockroaches and bed bugs.  We would encourage you to have more tolerance in the future and allow any Solifugids you encounter to live.  If found indoors, they can be trapped in an inverted glass and then taken outdoors by slipping a postcard under the glass to contain the creature inside.

Location: San Diego, California

2 Responses to Solifugid Carnage in San Diego

1. I captured a Brazilian Wandering Spider in my house in this manner these days, I’ll attempt to make a video, so people can learn how to catch dangerous creatures safely and take them back to nature.