Subject: Colorful beetle in South Korea
Location: South Korea
I saw this beetle the other day near my office on a college campus in South Korea (it’s currently mid-May). I’ve lived here for several years and have never seen an insect that looks anything like this. I asked around and nobody seems to know what it is. Any insights?
Signature: Jon Soderholm

Jewel Bug

Jewel Bug

Hi Jon,
This is not a beetle.  It is a Jewel Bug in the family Scutelleridae, and our first matching images are on the What Went Wrong? blog, but the species is not correctly identified.
  Your individual looks similar to the Poecilocoris lewisi which is pictured on a postage stamp from Japan on the Asahi Net site, however other images of that species look quite different.  At this time, we are unable to provide a species identification for you, but we are confident that it is a Jewel Bug in the family Scutelleridae.

Firstly, Thank you so much for a quick response… you guys are fast… Impressive! May I ask another question?  It seems that this Jewel Bug resides in Japan normally.  Nobody that I’ve talked to here in Korea seems to have seen one… How did it get here? and why…. (Korea and Japan have similar weather patterns)  Or, is it always here, just rarely seen?  As a scientist myself, I’m curious.
Thank you!!
Jon

Based on the info that you gave me, I was able to find images on the web of bugs of the species poecilocoris splendidulus, that look just like what I saw… thanks once again!
Jon

Thanks Jon.  We found an image of a mating pair of Poecilocoris splendidulus from Japan on AnimalsandEarth.

Location: South Korea