Subject: Spanish Spider
Location: Almeria, Spain
Hi there,
I found this lovely spider wandering slowly across one of the banks in my garden in South East Spain.
I was hoping you might give me it’s exact identification and if it was one you could safely pick up?
On this occasion I allowed it to quietly go on it’s way.
So, April, Almeria, Spain. 25°c. Midday. Measured about 50mm in span.
Signature: Jon C.

Female Ladybird Spider

Female Ladybird Spider

Dear Jon,
We are thrilled to receive and post your images of an endangered female Ladybird Spider,
Eresus sandaliatus, a species and genus that is threatened across most of its European range.  This species exhibits extreme sexual dimorphism, and the male Ladybird Spider looks like an entirely different species with his red coloration and black spots, markings that resemble those of a Ladybird Beetle.  More images can be found on ARkive.

Female Ladybird Spider

Female Ladybird Spider

Female Ladybird Spider

Female Ladybird Spider

Location: Almeria, Spain

7 Responses to Endangered Female Ladybird Spider from Spain

1. Jack says:

Do these things bite?

2. Jack says:

I saw one of these outside my house in Spain, my sister ended up killing it in panic before I looked up it’s species. Feel guilty now…

3. Colin says:

I have just encountered a male of these spiders making its way across our patio here in Barinas, Murcia, Spain. It was unmistakable with its bright red back and four black spots .

4. Beverley says:

Hi just found one on my terrace near Lake Negratin, Granada, Spain.

5. I saw first a male running across the ground, then 10 minutes later a female. It was May 15th this year at about 10 am.
    I live in the Almanzora Valley near Cantoria, Almeria.

6. Lisa Daniel says:

Rescued one out of my pool yesterday. I thought she had drowned but she is alive – and on her way.