Subject: Massive Stick Bug!
Location: Marloth Park, South Africa
Hello Bugman,
Kenda here. A friend of mine, Jo, is more than happy to share his photo of a Stick Bug that he took in Marloth Park, South Africa.
Cheers,
Signature: Kenda

Giant Stick Insect

Giant Stick Insect

Hi Kenda,
My, that is a large Giant Stick Insect, and the arm provides a great sense of scale.  We hope to provide a species identification when we have additional time to conduct some research.  We quickly found a reference to
Bactrododema krugeri on the Siyabona Africa website where it states:  “The giant stick insect, Bactrododema krugeri, was only recently named. This amazing insect is almost 30cm long when its legs are stretched out. The female stick insect has a longer body than the male, with a length of 193mm compared to 163mm. However, when legs are taken into account the male is 295mm long compared to the female’s 226mm.It took a British stick insect enthusiast to realise that it was a new species and to name the large insect – Paul Brock, author of several books on stick insects, visited South Africa last year. During his travels he visited the Kruger National Park, the Transvaal Museum and the National Collection in Pretoria. With his expert knowledge, he realised that a specimen collected by Leo Braack in a knobthorn in Skukuza Camp was a new species. It had previously been thought to be another similar species in the insect collections.” 

Giant Stick Insect

Giant Stick Insect

Thank you, Bugman! Very interesting information. I’ll tell my friend, Jo, who will be happy to know he contributed to providing an image of a what appears to be a new species. Stick bugs are already amazing, but this one is incredible!
Cheers!
Kenda

Location: Marloth Park, South Africa