Subject: Spectacle bug
Location: Baltimore Maryland, woods
Saw this on a tree trunk in Robert E Lee park in Baltimore Md today. The park is really a fairly large woods with a stream and lake close by.
Signature: Joe Halloran

Eyed Elater

Eyed Elater

Hi Joe,
In our opinion, the Eyed Elater, a large Click Beetle that you have submitted, is an unforgettable beetle that the average North American has a good chance of encountering at least once in a lifetime.
  The false eyespots are an effective defense mechanism by making the harmless Eyed Elater look larger and quite fierce to a bird or other predator.

Location: Baltimore, Maryland

4 Responses to Eyed Elater: One Unforgetable Beetle

1. Sharon says:

I sent a picture to find out what bug this was and then found the pic of the eyed elator beetle so now i know. I have seen 2 this month of May in San Antonio Tx. They fly like they are too heavy and may crash

2. Jill says:

We found an eyed elater in Sunset Beach, North Carolina. What a wild looking beetle!

3. LauraMaura says:

One of these guys tried to get into our building at work yesterday and I was so excited when it finally landed long enough for me to take a picture. I will now try to figure out how to post it.