Subject: Pleasing Fungus Beetle (Gibbifer sp.)
Location: Rincon de la Vieja NP, Costa Rica
I found this beetle while hiking in the Rincon de la Vieja National Park in Costa Rica. I’m guessing that it belongs to the genus Gibbifer based on the ID that I found here on your pages. But I couldn’t find any matches for a species ID. Maybe you or some of your readers can help.
Signature: Siggy

Pleasing Fungus Beetle

Pleasing Fungus Beetle

Hi Siggy,
You are correct that we have several examples from Costa Rica of Pleasing Fungus Beetles in the genus
Gibbifer, but we cannot substantiate their species identity.  There is a posting on Project Noah that is identified as Gibbifer costaricensis.  That same species is represented on Biologia Centrali Americana, however, the obsolete genus name Cypherotylus is used.  It is also important to understand that insects do not respect international boundaries drawn up by humans.

Pleasing Fungus Beetle

Pleasing Fungus Beetle

Thanks for replying so quickly. I seen that plate from Biologia Centrali Americana as well and thought insect #3 matched mine pretty closely. But when I did a search on Gibbifer gibbosus, what I assume would be the current name, I found pictures of beetles without the black band across the middle. I don’t know how much variability can be expected in a species, but maybe it’s just a variant.
I have a few more pictures of some insects that I want to ID from that hike. If I can’t come up with anything myself I may resort to enlisting your help again. Even if I can ID them, I’ll submit the images for use on your site.
Siggy

Hi again Siggy,
We would love to see any identified images from your hike.  It is much easier for us to post interesting images of interesting creatures without having to do any additional research.  Please include the species name and location in the subject line to catch our attention as traffic is once again increasing due to warming weather in much of the northern hemisphere.